Pazzles Bar

Get the Pazzles Inspiration, the most comprehensive electronic die cutter available, for as little as 99 dollars down.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Embossed Background Butterfly Card and Playing with Embossing Folders


Today I was going to try the Faux Patina Technique, but got sidetracked and played with embossing folders instead. My results are below.

The background on this card is one of the backgrounds I made while playing. It was done with a Darice EF, and uses Brilliance Sky Blue and Cosmic Gold, and Memento Bamboo Leaves.

I made matching mats for the cards by going around white CS with the same ink pads and my daubers.

The backing for the sentiment is from Our Daily Bread Designs Eternity Set, and the sentiment is from JustRite's Botanical Medallions and Banners Set. They were stamped on Core'dinations White Pearl CS using VersaMark, and Embossed with gold EP, then cut and embossed using ODBD's Elegant Ovals custom dies by Spellbinders. Then I edged them with a gold pen and mounted both layers dimensionally.

To finish the card, I punched some MS Monarch Butterflies, and used my daubers to add some blue to each. Last, I did the bodies and the edges with the gold pen. (It's shiny in real life). Then, I added some roses and foliage from the MS Branch Punch, and added a few pearls.


These are the embossed papers I made. They are prettier in real life. They didn't photograph as well in the group as they do singly. The one in the top right corner is the one I used in my card above, and you can see it looks a lot better on the card than it does in this group photo.

All the ink was either Brilliance or Memento, except for a few, which used Distress Antique Linen as well.

I began by using the Antique Linen on the embossing folder, and it looked so nice, that I left it as is, to use on a card later. It's the first time I've had any luck doing the letterpress technique. Then I began layering other colors on cards, but I didn't finish them off with the VersaMark and Embossing Powders because I liked them the way they were.

After I did a few like that, I began wondering how they would look with only two colors, so I made a green one and added gold to the embossing. Then I tried pink and gold, then blue and gold.

It was really fun, and now I have a bunch of backgrounds to make cards from!

This morning our hearts are heavy with grief here on the island. Two fishermen from here were lost while scalloping off Cape Cod. They have been missing since about noon time on Saturday. This morning the coast Guard called off the search.

It's very common for the men from the island to fish off shore. My husband fished in that area for years.


3 comments:

Marisa Job said...

Beautiful card!! Love the embossed technique you used!!

Sasha said...

Gorgeous card Kathi. That is one of my favourite background techniques and yours looks gorgeous in those colours x

JD/ Jill said...

Beautiful card, Kathi, and great backgrounds...Nice job with that technique!

I will say prayers for the families of those two fisherman...