Pazzles Bar

Get the Pazzles Inspiration, the most comprehensive electronic die cutter available, for as little as 99 dollars down.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Lighthouse Shadowbox


I've had this shadowbox for over a year, but it took me this long before I decided what I wanted to put into it. I think the company that made it is 7 Gypsies. I got it back when Becca Feeken had her kit club. It was part of the kit for one of the months, but I knew I wanted to do something nautical with it.

Since I sold the shadowbox right after I made it a few months ago, I am writing the steps as I remember them. I know I used some distress ink on the outside, but I can't remember the color. It looks like it might have been a dark brown. I couldn't really get it to shade the wood, but it did shade inside the edges of the little cubicles.

The backs of the cubicles are lined with some white CS which I shaded with VersaMark Aegean Blue. The bottom ones were shaded lightly, and the top one was shaded darker so it would make borders on either side of the stamped image. The stamp is Isle Au Haut Light in Maine, (or Robinson's Point), and is from a stamp I bought for my mother years ago from a company no longer in business. It was colored and shaded using various inks and Ranger nibs, Fantastix, and sponge daubers.

Real Seining twine from a weir was used in each cubicle, and I glued various shells I found on the beach in front of the shop into each one. The glue dried clear, but it was still wet and white when I took this photo.

Years ago, I also bought a little kit which made tiny brass lobster traps, lobsters and bouys. They were a real pain to make, but I had them made up, and the lobsters and bouys all painted. I had mounted them onto mahogany bases, and since Stonington is the real lobster capital of the world, I decided to put one of them into the center top cubicle.

3 comments:

JD/ Jill said...

Very nice, Kathi. You can tell a lot of work went into this...I have a shadow box from the same company about 4 years ago. I think I need to get it out and try and do something with it. You have inspired me...

Antoinette Voorn said...

Beautiful box en love the way you used the net and shells!

Marisa Job said...

This project is stunning and very creative!! Great details!