Pazzles Bar

Get the Pazzles Inspiration, the most comprehensive electronic die cutter available, for as little as 99 dollars down.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sparkly Butterfly Card and Shimmery Mists


I sure wish this photo looked as pretty as the card turned out, but it seems like they always look better in person than in photographs. The butterfly wings are also bent up, but you can't see it in the photo.

I started out to make a card for this week's Just Rite challenge, but somehow, with spring coming, I couldn't get into black and white, so I made this card instead.

I have always wanted some Glimmer Mist, but it was never available here. When I was in Rochester, NY taking care of the grandchildren over the last couple of weeks, I got to Hobby Lobby and Michaels again. Between the two stores, they had four different brands of the shimmery mists, so I bought a set of each kind to see which I liked better. One set was a Perfect Pearls set with heirloom gold and pearl. I liked the pearl, but the gold is too dark for my taste. I only sprayed a sample of each, so I'm not sure how I like the spray pattern.

The second set is from Tsukineko, and included silver and gold. Both colors are very pretty, but the gold is especially gorgeous. I only sprayed a small sample of these as well, so I'm not sure about the spray pattern on them either.

The third set was Smooch, and it included emerald green and yellow. Both colors are gorgeous, but when spraying a sheet with the emerald, I found it to be very messy and blotchy. It would be good for someone who likes a spray pattern, but I found it difficult to get an even pattern with it. That is the color I used for the background in this card. I also had emerald hands when I got done with it. The smooch seemed to get all over everything, but I will probably want more because of the gorgeous colors.

The fourth set was Glimmer Mist. The set I got had lemon, red, peach, and iridescent gold. Those colors were beautiful too. I used the iridescent gold on the fence, butterflies, and saying on this card. I found that the GM spray pattern was very nice, at least on the iridescent gold, but I haven't tried any of the colors yet except for the small sample I sprayed.

It was really fun working with such nice shimmery products, and it makes my card look like spring!

The border and butterflies are Martha Stewart, and the saying and frame around it are Just Rite. I used Versamark ink gold detail embossing powder on both, including the borders, and mounted them using dimensional tape.

After doing the borders around the frame and saying, I decided the border looked flat, so I used a Sakura Quickie Glue Pen around the edges and the same embossing powder. What I hadn't counted on, was that there was some leftover glue from my Xyron in the holes in the border. At first I was really upset, then I realized that once it was embossed, it might not matter if the nooks and crannies had gold embossing in them, since there is a gold sheen in the green shimmer as well as in the white.

I decided not to risk ruining the butterflies by embossing them, so I used a Pentouch to outline them.

After mounting everything, I added dots of green Stickles to the flowers, around the saying, and for the butterfly bodies.

In person, the saying is much easier to read, and the card is very shimmery with sparkly accents.

No comments: