Pazzles Bar

Get the Pazzles Inspiration, the most comprehensive electronic die cutter available, for as little as 99 dollars down.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Blue Butterfly Card


A few months ago, I made a pink butterfly card using some paper I had stamped and embossed in gold using an old Anna Griffin background stamp I had. I really liked that card, and decided to make a blue one just like it.

The blue paper for the card was made by taking some white moire paper I bought a few years ago at an art supply store, and painting over it with some watercolors I made from two shades of PearlEx. I ran out of sheets of Gold Mirror card, and only have scraps left. The mirror card is really hard to find, and the new owners of the craft store where I bought it are terrible about ordering, so I used some gold gift wrap I bought years ago at a paper mill outlet store for the matting. The butterflies were cut from my scraps of mirror card using Cheery Lynn Exotic Butterflies, then I used those Angel wing things to cut some blue paper for behind the wings. I still hate those angel wing things, and wish they were whole dies instead of half dies though. Usually I have to run them twice through the Grand Calibur to get a whole butterfly. This time, I used lighter weight paper, and folded them, but the bodies came out thinner than the bodies on the filigree butterflies and didn't quite fit. Anyway, after gluing the butterfly layers together, I used a sparkly Gelyroll pen to color the blue in the wings a little bit deeper shade of blue than the background.

The label is from Spellbinders, and is cut and embossed from more scraps of mirror card, then I gold embossed a JustRite stamp on blue paper for the sentiment. This was stamped with VersaMark, and the whole label was mounted dimensionally.

I'm really sorry I haven't been around to visit much lately, it's still pretty busy here.

8 comments:

Antoinette Voorn said...

Hi Cathy, a message from me just before i go to bed...i like butterflies very much ! And how inventive you are... i read your story with the gift wrap and stuff...and getting the butterflies out of your machine or die! Your card is an amazing creation again!

Greetz Antoinette
http://antoinettecreacards.blogspot.nl

Myrna said...

Kathi
Butterflies, blue and bling; what more could a girl ask for??
This is so beautiful.
Myrna

Jean said...

This blue and gold butterfly card is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for telling how you substituted when you didn't have enough. If you had not said anything, no one would have known the difference. Maybe you should substitute all the time....your work is outstanding. Thank you so much for sharing and explaining everything.

craftieodmae said...

this is over the top of gorgeousness!!!!

Marie-Louise said...

Another gorgeous card Kathi.

JD/ Jill said...

Stunning card, Kathi!

Unknown said...

I love this card! The butterflies make it. I saw some similar butterfly dies on Topdogdies.com by Cheery Lynn. This card makes me want to get them!

Irish Cherokee said...

Absolutely gorgeous card. Love the butterflies. Great work. Jim